Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pet Peeve

Every Saturday our local paper prints a Religion section, which I am sure is common to most newspapers. Most of the time I ignore this section except to read the comics, but today the headline caught my eye: IN THE BEGINNING...AT THE CREATION MUSEUM IN PETERSBURG, KY. The article is basically one big infomercial complete with ticket prices and admission information. There are quotes from wide eyed tourists, Mark Looey, and Answers In Genesis. One of my favorites "Why would a powerful, loving God, use such a cruel and wasteful form as natural selection?" and "if you can't believe him (god) in everything, how can you believe him in anything?" Read the full article for more laughs.

What peeves me is that the newspaper prints this article as though a creation museum is something that should be taken seriously. Placing the article in the Religion section doesn't exempt the paper from using a little critical reporting. This is not an isolated incident as this newspaper has a definite Christian bias. Why would an editor check his brain at the door and give the Creation Museum a free plug?

2 comments:

Ranting Student said...

That's unfair. Newspapers can't be bias.

or shouldn't, anyway...

I'm going to check the religion section in my paper...

Froggie said...

Religion has always recieve4d a free pass on their irrational beliefs. That's fine by me as long as they can't get them legislated.